Subscribe for 17¢ / day

BANDON — Despite giving up a 3-pointer with four seconds left to send the game to overtime, Reedsport's bench was confident it would win the Sunset Conference boys opener with Bandon. 

Tyreece Gardner got to the free throw line immediately, made both, then Korde Parmenter hit a 3-pointer 40 seconds later and Reedsport held off Bandon 49-47.

“We’re pretty happy because it’s the first game of league,” Dallas McGill said. “We’re just happy to get back out there because we haven’t played in two weeks.”

Colby Smith carried Bandon during the first half, when sophomore point guard Braydon Freitag "had to sit," according to coach Matt Angove.  

Smith scored all 14 of Bandon’s first-half points — 12 in the first quarter on 5-of-6 shooting with two 3s — while Reedsport’s offense was balanced. Parmenter hit a second-quarter 3, Javier Analco had six points and seven rebounds and Gardner was getting to the free throw line and finding teammates off those drives.

Bandon led 12-9 after the first quarter behind strong finishes and top-of-the-key 3s from Smith. But Reedsport clamped on the sophomore in the second quarter and outscored the Tigers 11-2, taking a 20-14 lead into halftime.

Reedsport coach Allan Chaney said the Brave had to make an adjustment on Smith, and he put Parmenter on him in the hopes of limiting his scoring. It worked. After scoring 12 in the first quarter, he scored 12 the rest of the game to finish with 24. That sounds like a lot, but it could’ve been more had Parmenter not contested shots and made Smith uncomfortable catching the ball.

 “I was very proud of our defensive effort," Chaney said. "Some guys really stepped up and played hard. I think that test of our defensive fortitude will be helpful going through the rest of league.”

In the second half, Bandon’s offense was crisper. Bandon coach Matt Angove still wanted to slow the pace against the athletic Brave, and having Freitag back helped. The sophomore point guard scored 15 second-half points, with nine coming from the free throw line and none bigger than the 3-pointer to force overtime.

McGill, though, became a force down the stretch. He scored nine of 13 points in the second half and made his last four shots to be the basis for Reedsport’s offense.

It was Parmenter’s contested 3 with 4:54 on the clock in the third quarter that stopped a Bandon run and extended the lead to four points, then it was a Parmenter free throw that made Freitag’s deep, contested equalizer to be just that, forcing overtime.

Angove said he was happy Bandon stayed within striking distance for the first sixteen minutes, then slowly chipped away at the lead to have a chance to win in overtime.

“We faced adversity, we came together, everyone did the best they could,” Angove said. “We clawed, we scratched, it came down to a shot here, shot there. It could’ve gone either way.”

Subscribe to Breaking News

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Sports Reporter