SOUTH COAST — Conde Balcom McCullough designed the Scottsburg Bridge on state Highway 38 in 1929 and also designed many other bridges around the South Coast during the 1920s and 1930s.
The bridge area residents may be most familiar with is the Conde McCullough Memorial Bridge at the north end of North Bend on U.S. Highway 101. The bridge was completed in 1936, largely bringing an end to using ferries to cross Coos Bay. McCullough also designed the Isthmus Slough Bridge at the south end of Coos Bay, completed in 1931, and the South Slough Bridge in Charleston, originally completed in 1934, but later replaced.
McCullough also designed the Coquille River Bridge on state Highway 42 in Coquille, which originally opened 1922 but was replaced in 1988; and the Powers Bridge, opened in 1934.
You have free articles remaining.
In Curry County, McCullough designed the Euchre Creek Bridge (Ophir Road, old Highway 101), completed in 1927; the Hunter Creek Bridge (old Highway 101), opened 1928; the Myers Creek Bridge (old Highway 101), opened in 1924; and the Isaac Lee Patterson Bridge (Gold Beach), completed in 1931.
He also designed a number of bridges in Douglas County, including the Umpqua River Bridge, completed in 1936, in Reedsport; the Deer Creek Bridge, opened in 1927; the Winston Bridge, which opened in 1934; the four Elk Creek bridges, which were completed in 1931 and 1932 before being replaced in 2008; the Siuslaw River Bridge (Florence), completed in 1936; and the Cape Creek Bridge at Heceta Head (milepost 178, 12 miles north of Florence), completed in 1932.
McCullough was the designer for bridges throughout the state, with his work present in most of Oregon's counties. More information on which bridges he designed can be found on structurea.net and bridgehunter.com/category/builder/conde-b-McCullough.