BAY AREA — Look it up: The dictionary's second definition of "leaven" is "a pervasive influence that modifies something or transforms it for the better."
That definition perfectly fits Ray Block's project, Leaven No Trace, which mobilizes people and resources to clean up trash along local roads. Several fundraisers this month will benefit the project, which is a 501 (c)(3) nonprofit.
- A Thursday, May 5 showing of the movie "Idiocracy" at the Egyptian Theatre, 229 S. Broadway, Coos Bay, will benefit LNT. 7 Devils Brewing Co. will sell beer. The movie is sponsored by Les' Sanitation, 7 Devils and Coos Bay Surfrider. The movie will start at 6:30, and admission is by donation. The satirical comedy tells the story of two people who take part in a military hibernation experiment, awakening 500 years later in a society where everyone has become stupid.
- Now through May 14, LNT is selling raffle tickets for a bed and breakfast getaway and nine other prizes. Purchase tickets at Bayway Market, 325 S. Broadway, Coos Bay; at any LNT work site; or by calling Andrea Baker at 541-404-2267.
- On May 14, a can drive at McKay's Freshmart, 149 S. Seventh St., Coos Bay will benefit LNT.
Anyone who wants to help pick up the astonishing amount of trash and tires that Block and his LNT volunteers find around the county can find the group's work site of the day on the Leaven No Trace Facebook page. For example:
- On Tuesday, May 3, meet on Libby Lane about a mile from Coos Bay to fill a dumpster with tires, starting at 10 a.m.
- On Friday, May 6, boaters are needed to help corral blocks of foam on Tenmile Lakes and haul them out for disposal. Meet at 8 a.m. at the Lakeside boat dock to help tie the blocks together and float them to Spinreel Campground, where Forest Service staff will remove them for disposal.
If you can't haul trash yourself, consider donating money by any of several means:
- YouCaring is a crowdfunding website that doesn't take a cut of the donations. LNT's YouCaring page is www.youcaring.com/raymond-j-furr-block-540937
- Donations can be sent via PayPal to Leavennotrace@gmail.com.
- Deposit money in LNT's bank account at Northwest Community Credit Union in the name of Raymond Furr (Leaven No Trace).
- To donate supplies, obtain a receipt for tax purposes or get documentation for community service hours, call Block at 541-404-9734.