Subscribe for 17¢ / day

COQUILLE — A suspect in a March 18 shooting in Powers was indicted Monday by the Coos County Grand Jury on first degree assault charges.

Coos County District Attorney Paul Frasier said Seth Isaac Hamm, 42, of Powers was arrested Monday by Coos County Sheriff's deputies in Powers. He was lodged at the Coos County Jail pending his expected arraignment in Coos County Circuit Court on Tuesday on the assault charge.

The victim in the shooting, Emilio Pina, 30, of Powers, was shot in the neck and has since been released from the hospital, but is dealing with nerve damage in his left arm resulting from the shooting. 

On March 18, at about 5:28 a.m., the Coos County Sheriff's 911 Center received several phone calls indicating a person had been shot on the road in the 400 block of Third Avenue in Powers, Frasier said.

Since Powers does not currently have a paid police officer, police from surrounding areas were called to respond. The closest officer was a Myrtle Point police officer who responded at 5:58 a.m. A Coquille police officer also responded and arrived at the scene at 6: 05 a.m., Frasier said in the release. The closest Coos County Sheriff's deputy responded from Charleston.

Medical personnel from the Powers Fire Department responded and found Pina laying in the street. He was suffering from a gunshot wound to the left neck and shoulder area. He was transported to Coquille Valley Hospital and subsequently transferred to Bay Area Hospital. 

The Coos County Major Crime Team was activated to investigate the shooting. Officers from the North Bend, Coos Bay, Myrtle Point and Coquille police departments, SCINT, the Oregon State Police, the Coos County Sheriff's Office, the Medical Examiner's Office and the District Attorney's Office comprise the team.

Many people were interviewed, according to Frasier, including several eyewitnesses. Police had identified a suspect, but did not release his identity at the time. This suspect and his family cooperated in the investigation, Frasier said, but no arrest had been made immediately after the shooting.


Executive Editor