REEDSPORT -- Having more Reedsport police officers contributed to fewer numbers of intoxicated drivers out on the roads for the Fourth of July holiday.
City Police Chief Duane Wisehart provided some perspective plus the 2017 statistics.
"First and foremost, we are up to full staffing and therefore the officers have time to be proactive and work traffic enforcement, which they did over the holiday weekend," he said.
Reedsport numbers are as follows:
- unlawful possession of methamphetamine - one;
- driving under the influence of drugs - zero
- DUII - alcohol - zero;
- minor in possession of alcohol - zero;
- eight speeding citations;
- three other traffic citations;
- and two tickets for driving while suspended;
- and zero tickets for having an open container of alcohol.
By comparison, here are the figures from the Douglas County Sheriff's Office for the holiday weekend.
Sheriff's Sgt. Brad O'Dell said deputies arrested one person for unlawful possession of methamphetamine.
Other county statistics are as follows:
- one DUII arrest for alcohol;
- one arrest for minor in possession of alcohol;
- five speeding tickets;
- six traffic citations and one for driving with a suspended license;
and one arrest for having an open container of alcohol.