All veterans do not think alike

2014-06-02T10:36:00Z All veterans do not think alike Coos Bay World
June 02, 2014 10:36 am

In response to “Vets Sacrificed for that Cross:” I am an army vet (medic), and a member of the Freedom From Religion Foundation. Why does Mr. Straley say FFRF is “perverted and cowardly?” That provocative statement does not make sense and is ignorant. The issue is that we have a secular government. It should not involve itself in any religious activity. Religious activity belongs on private property. I get really tired of religious veterans who claim to speak for all vets.

James Corey

Harpers Ferry, WV

Copyright 2015 Coos Bay World. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

(7) Comments

1. Microbe
    Microbe - June 06, 2014 9:12 am
    Count me as another local Veteran who wants the memorial modified, replaced or moved. It's a poor memorial. The issue will not go away. The city is being small minded.
  2. maureen
    maureen - June 03, 2014 4:52 pm
    randomcommenter, If you like the cross so much, have it installed on your private property. It doesn't belong in a public park and needs to be removed from the monument. Just because it's been there a while doesn't make it right.
  3. maureen
    maureen - June 03, 2014 4:48 pm
    Thank you, Mr. Corey. I am also a member of FFRF and am very proud of their fight for secular government. Crass comments like "perverted and cowardly" have no place in this debate, that is for sure.
  4. momintum
    momintum - June 03, 2014 10:27 am
    Thank You Mr. Corey and you too Kathy100. I'm a Viet Nam Vet and get so tired of being pigeonholed according to some theocratic neanderthal who takes the position of "speaking for everyone" erroneously. If there should be some sky-fairy who is all knowing, all powerful, and everywhere who permits the horror of war upon his or her creations, If I ever meet it, I'll kick its a** until it's nose bleeds. Gods my a**
  5. Kathy100
    Kathy100 - June 02, 2014 8:37 pm
    What are you talking about - "the people that are buried there"? Do you think that anyone is actually buried in Mingus Park?!! It's not a cemetery! It's just a home made memorial that has a cross on top that is owned by the city.
  6. Kathy100
    Kathy100 - June 02, 2014 8:33 pm
    Thank you Mr. Corey for being a reasonable voice in this discussion.
  7. randomcommenter
    randomcommenter - June 02, 2014 2:08 pm
    What is so offensive about a cross?? Why does it have to be a big deal? I could drive past a Buddha every day and not care in the least. It has been there 40+ years, why now? No one is insinuating that the people buried there are Christians. I don't think all Veteran's fought for the cross. but I think they did win our basic freedoms.
You must Login to comment.

Click here to get an account it's free and quick

Content Match

Activate subscription button gif
Class 50 percent off

Today's Events

More Events

Get TXT news alerts

Text “START” to 541-897-6428.

Standard messaging and data rates may apply.

Featured Promotions

Poll

Should the Mingus Park geese stay or go?

Leave them alone
Get 'em out of here

Quick notification of big news. Delivered when news breaks (used sparingly).

Top headlines from theworldlink.com delivered to you daily.

Daily email with that day's events.

Local Businesses