Tim Novotny joins The World's news team

2012-04-25T11:00:00Z 2014-01-11T14:24:57Z Tim Novotny joins The World's news teamThe World Coos Bay World
April 25, 2012 11:00 am  •

COOS BAY — Tim Novotny, longtime anchor and reporter at KCBY, is joining The World’s news team as a video editor and reporter.

In addition to reporting stories on the community, business and sports, Novotny will anchor a weekday newscast at theworldlink.com.

"I've always enjoyed tackling new challenges and blazing new trails," Novotny said. "This, to me, is just such an opportunity. I'm very excited to get the chance to still be a part of the community that I've called home for over 13 years, while also getting to play a role in an historic addition to how The World delivers news to the South Coast."

Publisher and Editor Clark Walworth was enthusiastic about Novotny's hiring.

“We are delighted to have Tim joining our team," Walworth said. "He’s a genuine local celebrity and an excellent newsman. Keeping his talents here in this community is a win for everyone.”

Executive Editor George Spohr said readers and the newsroom alike would benefit from Novotny’s knowledge of the South Coast and his experience with breaking news online.

“Tim’s probably the most recognizable face in town,” Spohr said. “While that brings an obvious competitive advantage, Tim’s going to make a great addition to our team on many levels.”

Earlier this year, Novotny left KCBY after 12 years at the station. While the TV station continues to maintain a reporting staff on the South Coast, its evening newscasts now are anchored from Eugene. An affiliated station in Roseburg underwent an identical change at the same time.

Novotny said he has been inundated with encouragement from the community since leaving KCBY.

"I'd like to take this opportunity to thank the many, many folks who gave me so much support during this period of change in my life," Novotny said. "It has meant more to me and my family than we could ever say."

Before joining KCBY, he was a news director in Twin Falls, Idaho, and worked as an assistant news producer in Madison, Wisc.

Novotny and his family live in Coos Bay. His first day at The World is Monday, May 7.

Copyright 2015 Coos Bay World. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

(19) Comments

1. readynow2
    readynow2 - April 09, 2015 5:15 pm
    I seen what happened to the Old Fox Theatre in San Francisco with a mighty organ. Thank god a couple of guys took it apart and moved it to a pizza place in Los Altos Hills, CA. they even constructed a building for it. After the theatre was torn down people cried and I can see the same thing happening here unless somebody takes charge to save it with young people. So much of history has been destroyed stop the destruction of this piece of hist. You could e-mail me back at Movingon246@gmail.com
  2. readynow2
    readynow2 - April 09, 2015 5:07 pm
    Tim Novotny I read your column in the paper today about the Organ at the Egyptian Theatre and you did a great job I wanted to commend you.
    I tried Volunteering at the Theatre for awhile and found that the Manager there is a one women show and has not a clue about working with volunteers. I gave up. I tried talking to different ones about trying to getting younger people involved with that great old Wurlitzer Organ and it all fell on deaf ears. There needs to be young blood brought in or die.
  3. Puddles
    Puddles - May 01, 2012 2:38 pm
    I think Tim will be a great addition to the World. Congratulations!
  4. IWanttoknow
    IWanttoknow - May 01, 2012 1:12 am
    Tim; Glad you were able to fine employment and keep you and your family here! Kinda worried about the future of the media that left you and the one you just joined! Both have 'downsized' so much and changed their 'formats' they seem to accept the fact that 'print/TV' coverages are changing! Lower Advertising $/ higher employee cost/operating cost (fees) and higher cost for 'benefits' for individuals and families. Go Cyber or Go away! Cyber has more cover less overhead = $$$ profits. Geno L
  5. Polar Bear
    Polar Bear - April 28, 2012 10:36 am
    I wish you were still on the local news, instead of all the losers they get on there.
    We don't even watch the local news much anymore, so bad.
  6. Reader
    Reader - April 28, 2012 4:39 am
    This is great news. Tim Novotny will undoubtedly be an asset to the paper, and I am personally thrilled he will continue to be a part of our community. Good move by The World. Great result for all of us.
  7. mctubbs
    mctubbs - April 25, 2012 9:38 pm
    I must say this is a first, and I'm glad of it. This is the first time I have ever seen such a positive viewer feed back comment section on any article. Every one is always such a nay-Sayer. I'm very glad to see a change. Tim, good luck and I hope it works for you.
  8. Where are rights
    Where are rights - April 25, 2012 6:11 pm
    So glad to hear that Tim is coming to The World. When I lived in Coos County we toke the newspaper it took me 5 mins. to read it on line 2 mins. because everyday it is mostly the same news. I agree with Getitright He should have got Clark Walforth job. Good luck Tim.
  9. willibus
    willibus - April 25, 2012 6:06 pm
    KCBY's loss is definitely The World's gain. Delighted to read this article. And I hope you'll continue acting in local theatre.
  10. native eastsider
    native eastsider - April 25, 2012 4:58 pm
    Thats great, I am so glad Tim can move on sence KCBY has done away with the 15 minute local news that you only get if you have Charter Cable. My big question is why do we need KCBY at all?
    Congrats Tim and good luck.
  11. reads the news
    reads the news - April 25, 2012 4:53 pm
    Good to know there will be someone on staff that knows how to report on REAL news. Hopefully this will be a step foreward on a newspaper I have all but given up on.
  12. GetItRight
    GetItRight - April 25, 2012 2:38 pm
    Good news! A man of fairness, they should have given him Clark Walworth's job.
  13. B
    B - April 25, 2012 1:57 pm
    KCBY's loss = The World Newspaper's gain. Glad Tim Novotny is still in our area. Congratulations!
  14. penelop
    penelop - April 25, 2012 1:55 pm
    So glad that Tim has found employment. I hope he doesn't go nuts working there.
  15. Tired of it
    Tired of it - April 25, 2012 12:50 pm
    Glad to see Tim on the World team. Now maybe we can get factual articles instead of the usual World's half truths and gossip.
  16. Steve Pickering
    Steve Pickering - April 25, 2012 12:15 pm
    Welcome Tim. This is good news. I am looking forward to this addition to "The World".

Now if you can just get them to moderate the copyright violations on the forum, it will be a great Online Newspaper.
  17. Con Queso
    Con Queso - April 25, 2012 11:21 am
    Mr. Novotny is a great news reporter, a fantastic person and I applaud The World for their judgment on this one. Well done, to everyone involved!
  18. CB Lifer
    CB Lifer - April 25, 2012 11:20 am
    Nice, I have always liked Tim, he's always done a good job in my opinion. Congratulations Tim, I hope it works out well for you!
  19. 60something
    60something - April 25, 2012 11:20 am
    100% Thumbs Up. Good luck Tim.
You must Login to comment.

Click here to get an account it's free and quick

Content Match

Activate subscription button gif
Class 50 percent off

Today's Events

More Events

Get TXT news alerts

Text “START” to 541-897-6428.

Standard messaging and data rates may apply.