Coos Bay-North Bend Rotary Club is awarding grants worth a total $5,300 to local organizations serving the Coos Bay-North Bend community. Grants will be used to enhance youth participation in music, culture, train youth leaders, and assist with projects that meet basic community needs.
Rotary club members donate goods and services to hold an annual auction and carry out programs, such as wood cutting, to raise funds that are used for local and international projects. A committee made up of Rotary members selects grants to be awarded based upon the criteria and funding available.
For information on joining the club, visit http://coosbaynorthbendrotary.com or call Tom Bennett at 541-290-3320.
Organization or program approved for a Rotary grant for 2013-14:
- Boy Scouts of America Chinook District — leadership training; $1,000
- THE House — bedding, clothing, rain gear and food; $1,000
- Child Abuse Intervention Center — family fun day; $500
- Oregon Coast Music Association — music involvement and education for youth; $500
- South Coast Clambake Jazz Festival — music education sponsor; $1,000
- South Coast Horizons — help to purchase a passenger vehicle for clients with intellectual and developmental disabilities; $1,000.00
- Soroptimist International of the Coos Bay area — share in providing backpacks for children moving through the court system; $300