Goose killed

North Bend man mourns goose gunned down at Empire Lakes Park

2013-05-31T19:26:00Z 2013-05-31T19:38:30Z North Bend man mourns goose gunned down at Empire Lakes ParkBy George Artsitas, The World Coos Bay World
May 31, 2013 7:26 pm  •

COOS BAY — For the last four years, whenever Chris Cameron pulled up to Empire Lakes Park, a husky white goose he affectionately named Stanley would waddle over to his Toyota Highlander to greet him.

But from now on, Cameron will be without his big, white feathery welcome.

Stanley was found dead from a gunshot Thursday morning on one of the park’s walking trails.

Cameron, 65, saw Stanley — who he calls the “park mascot” — every day before 9 a.m. and developed a close relationship with the bird.

Cameron said he would’ve fished out the bullet for evidence, but he was too torn up by his loss to follow through.

Cameron’s friend buried Stanley for him.

“He was more than a pet,” Cameron said. “I was probably closer to him than anybody else.”

Around the park, Stanley was beloved by many visitors, Cameron said. Now, he hopes folks who knew the goose can help find his killer.

“I hope enough people are aware so we can catch the bastard that killed him,” Cameron said.

He reported the death to the police, but he’s pessimistic about the culprit being caught.

Sgt. Michael Shaffer of Coos Bay Police doesn’t get animal assaults like this very often, but says a crime like this is definitely something his office would investigate.

“If there’s a crime involving animals, we’d look into it.

“(This type of crime) is not necessarily typical. Generally, people are real good about wildlife around here,” Shaffer said.

Cameron is a former zoologist who liked to spoil Stanley occasionally. He’d give the goose white bread instead of chicken feed from time to time, even though it’s more fattening.

And it’s those things he said he’ll miss most — feeding, petting and visiting his friend at the park.

“What was nice about going there to walk was that Stanley was there too,” Cameron said. “We had an understanding; we were comfortable with each other.”

Reporter George Artsitas can be reached at 541-269-1222, ext. 236, at, or on Twitter at @COPSTheWorld.

Copyright 2015 Coos Bay World. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

(8) Comments

1. MrSanfordLyle
    MrSanfordLyle - June 07, 2013 12:58 am
    Wow this is sad. I think it's so cool to have the kind of understanding that these two had. Animals are people too and it was no doubt some punk with a gun being stupid that caused this. Empire lakes is nice but those nasty people in the coos Bay Area use it as their own personal toilet for dumping bodies. This pisses me off cuz that goose seems like a damn cool bird. The poor guy was probably just sayin hey what's up to the person not knowing that some ppl are cruel and got himself shot. If I ever hear about who did this I promise I will do something about it. God bless you Stanley Goose..
  2. oregonnative74
    oregonnative74 - June 06, 2013 10:33 am
    This breaks my heart!!! Some people are seriously messed up!!! People who harm or kill animals go on to do much worse things!!! This is just sad!!! I loved that goose.... :(
  3. coquillelocal
    coquillelocal - June 02, 2013 10:45 am
    This is the saddest thing I have read in a long time. There should be a collection for a reward to catch and prosecute the person who did this! I will donate! This was heartbreaking to my children also, who are both animal lovers. As a community we can make a difference if we want to. What do you say Coos County, can we avenge Stanleys sensless death?
  4. Cameron Rodriguez
    Cameron Rodriguez - June 01, 2013 6:58 pm
    I too loved Stanley, although I had only met him a little more then a month ago. He helped me learn much about my new camera, posing and visiting. I have a beautiful picture of Stanley that I would love to share with Mr. Cameron, who cared so much for this goose. It is horrible anyone would hurt Stanley and that behavior makes me afraid to be at the lakes.
    How interesting though, that Chris Cameron loved this goose as I did. I am Carol Cameron Rodriguez. We should meet at the lake. :)
  5. 60something
    60something - June 01, 2013 11:01 am
    Two years ago, I occasionally would feed two Geese at Empire. Then there was only one and I haven't seen him for quite a while. I never did hear what happened to the first Goose to disappear? It is sad that there are people who get some kind of thrill being cruel to animals.
  6. MZLAL
    MZLAL - June 01, 2013 5:45 am
    Dear The World...
    There is a REASON there are NO COMMENTS on your articles...
    Every time I start reading your articles, after a couple... YOU DEMAND MONEY to read any more!
    Even article which are about immediate public safety!
    And, Two:
    Your "comment approving" system is MORE STRINGENT than the New York Times!
    Time to grow up now, and accept that the average person has a more... Rough way of talking than you.
  7. MZLAL
    MZLAL - June 01, 2013 5:37 am
    Wow...Someone is so low as to kill a friendly goose.
    Please catch the chitheel, and put him out of our misery.
  8. bender1963
    bender1963 - June 01, 2013 12:31 am
    What a lowlife this person is. This individual will probably will never be caught. What a cowardly thing to do!!!
You must Login to comment.

Click here to get an account it's free and quick

Content Match