COOS BAY — KIDS@CAM 2018 Works of Natural Art series of children’s nature based art classes with Genelle Contreras will be offered Saturdays starting in March and continuing through May at Coos Art Museum. Each class is noon-1 p.m. for ages 6-11 and all skill levels are welcome, but class size will be limited to 6-12 students, so early registration is encouraged. Fees include materials, and each class is $15 or $12 to CAM members. The first class will be held Saturday, March 10. Other dates are March 24, April 14, April 28, May 5, and May 19, 2018
Each day children will use both physical and observational skills to create items that will echo things found in nature all the while exploring principles and elements of design such as color, form, composition and balance.
- March 10 — Feather Pins: Kids will paint and draw on feathers then attaching them to pin backs to create fabulous pins that can be worn or gifted. They will even make a lovely backpack swag.
- March 24 — Textured Stone Magnets: Children will work with clay to create a stone like base and then press in plant forms before adding a magnet back.
- April 14 — Celestial Sea Shell Pendants: Kids will shape, mold and paint the pendants before adhering the shell to them. Then they will attach them to necklace, bracelet and/or key chains.
- April 28 — Wrapped Wood Wind Chime: Kids will wrap yarn around the stick focusing on making pleasing color palettes. They will finish off the project by attaching bells and beads to the stick and then assembling the chime.
- May 5 — Dream Catchers: Kids will use both sides of their brains in creating this project that they can then embellish with beads and feathers.
- May 19 — Printing with Plants: Children will create up to 5 greeting cards using the natural pigments of plants and then various other supplies will be used to embellish the cards.